rnrn
Montgomery County Historical Society Montgomery County Historical Society
Dedicated to preserving and perpetuating the rich local history of the Montgomery County, Missouri area.

A brief chronology of Montgomery County, Missouri, history is reprinted from the Pioneer Days book (published by The Society ©2018 and available for purchase). Current statistics.
 
1800
Spanish government granted Daniel Morgan and Nathan Boone 700 acres of land,
    near what is now Mineola (exact year undetermined)
1813 Fort Clemson built on Loutre Island to protect settlers during the Indian wars. Other early history. 
1815 Boone's Lick Road (now approximate route of I-70) surveyed
1817 Charles Wells built a cabin on Coon Creek near Middletown
1818
Montgomery County formed from Southwest corner of St. Charles County;
    county seat at Pinckney (now in Warren County).  Courthouse history.
1821 Missouri admitted to the Union as the 24th state
1826 County seat moved to Lewiston, on Boone's Lick Road, west of High Hill
1833 Warren County formed from East part of Montgomery County
1834 Danville became the county seat
1850 Federal Census
1857 North Missouri Railroad constructed through the County
1864 Anderson's raid on Danville destroyed buildings and County records
1869
The Montgomery Standard published the first issue of a newspaper;
    since published weekly continuously for 150 years
1878 Edwards Brothers published a Historical Atlas of the County
1890 Highest population in County history, 16,850 residents
1894
Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad spurred growth along the River
Click here for miscellaneous stats and county officers from the Official Manual of the State.
1901 Danville County Courthouse fire destroyed many County records
1903 Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad built through Northeast County
1917 Wellsville Fire Brick Company incorporated and began 75 years of production
1925 Montgomery City became the county seat
1930 Hermann Bridge on Route 19 opened, operating as a toll for the first two years
1954 School consolidation reduced 80 school districts to three
1964 Graham Cave State Park established
1965 Interstate Route 70 completed through the County
1965 The Tri-County Levee District formed to combat flooding
1976 Montgomery County Historical Society organized and incorporated
1990 The rails-to-trails project completed, routing the Katy Trail State Park through the County
1998 Rhineland moved to the bluffs, after a long history of town flooding. FEMA article.