Montgomery County Historical Society Montgomery County Historical Society
Dedicated to preserving and perpetuating the rich local history of the Montgomery County, Missouri area.

Church Histories
Return to Category List
Listings Per Page: 
Page:   of  2Next Page


File Listings: 1 to 50 of 71
Began in 1940 by Rev. E. B. Turner and his wife.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
only a photo in the file
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
After meeting in homes and the school, a church was built in 1870 on land donated by McMahan in the town of Egbert.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Began in 1876 by Elder Thomas Hensley and wife Harriet; with Elder Branstetter called to pastoral care. Centennial booklet in file.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Services were held in a home bought in 1927 and renovated. Rev. Bob Denning was the first pastor
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Organized in 1856 at Elkhorn School, northeast of Montgomery City with Rev. McQuie as first pastor.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Related to, or merged with. Liberty Baptist. File includes copy of minutes with index.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Organized in 183 by Elder Sencks, charter members included Alderson, Kimbrel, Harrell and Andrews.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Originally the Freedom Baptist Church in the early 1800's, a constitution was first written in 1871. The building was built by Barrow in 1869.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Rev. Joseph Baker and John & Prudence Snethen organized the church shortly after their arrival from Kentucky in 1809. Scanned is the first of a 7 page document.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
According to the 1885 history book, the building cost $800 when erected in 1879. Organized in 1876 with James Smith and Rev. Bibb as pastors.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Began in 1851, the early church had 15 members. They organized with the Bear Creek Assn. in 1854.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Organized in 1896 with 30 members and applied for Bear Creek Assn. admission. Rev. R. S. Duncan was Moderator.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Written in 1882 by R. S. Duncan, A History of the Baptists in Missouri: Embracing an Account of the Organization and Growth of Baptist Churches and Associations: Biographical Sketches of Ministers of the Gospel and Other Prominent Members of the Denomination: the Founding of Baptist Institutions, Periodicals, etc.
Uploaded: 15 January 2021
Organized at the home of Samuel Boone in 1833 with Elder Wm. Coats as minister until his death in 1836. See also National Register of Historic Places (cut & paste this link) https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/80002382.pdf
Uploaded: 5 September 2019
A new building dedicated in 1917 under pastor Rev. McQuie replaced a structure built in 1858 by Rev. Johnson.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Organized in the home of Samuel Cope in 1837 or '38. In 1847 several members joined the Methodist church. File includes an old Journal and copies of meeting minutes.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Founded 1874 with families Oliver and Phipps; Wm Penn at the pulpit; burned 1899; rebuilt 1900 and renamed New Hope Baptist. File includes original record book, indexed.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Organized in 1882; Rev. Cole was the pastor 1925-1930; reorganized by Rev. Hattie in the mid-30's.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Rev. McKamey preached for the original members who built a church in 1889 on land donated by H. A. Lewis.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Organized in 1865 by the Rev. Smith at the Noble Schoolhouse as "Providence," moving to Wellsville in 1868 with a name change to "First Baptist of Wellsville."
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Organized in the Dutton home in 1841, on Bear Creek, east of Bellflower. The first pastor was Robert Gilmore. File includes a large envelope full of misc. documents that were in minutes book.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Written in 1882 by R. S. Duncan, A History of the Baptists in Missouri: Embracing an Account of the Organization and Growth of Baptist Churches and Associations : Biographical Sketches of Ministers of the Gospel and Other Prominent Members of the Denomination : the Founding of Baptist Institutions, Periodicals, etc,
Uploaded: 15 January 2021
The first Mass was celebrated in the home Chas. Brooks Worland. Fathers Turk and Setters were the first priests. The current brick church building was begun in 1885. MCHS files include several directories and more historical info.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
The cornerstone of the first frame church was blessed by Rev. Head in April 1881.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Church history summary from 1969 Parish Directory and 1977 news article. MCHS library includes a transcription of Church records and a copy of the deed transfer from L.W. Hunt to Rev. John Glennon. Note the cemetery is sometimes referred to as "Hunt-St.Joseph" and it's history is found under "Church Records." copy/paste: https://www.mchsmo.org/fileDownload.php?cid=14&sid=3
Uploaded: 15 August 2021
Detailed history of St. Martin's Church, Shrine and Fr. Hoehn in a 31 page booklet with photographs, by Joseph & Shirley Koenig, published ca.1970. MCHS Library includes a transcription of Church records. See also the registration form for the National Register of Historic Places online at: https://mostateparks.com/sites/mostateparks/files/Shrine%20of%20Our%20Lady%20of%20Sorrows.pdf AND MHR article https://digital.shsmo.org/digital/collection/mhr/id/57413 (You must copy and paste this URL into another tab.)
Uploaded: 2 October 2021
A researcher shares helpful findings about early Catholic records. This well-documented article includes links to additional resources.
Uploaded: 17 October 2021
Organized in 1868 and originally called Church of the Sacred Heart.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Begun by Maupin and Dillon families who helped build in 1903
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Organized in 1898, they purchased materials from the wreckage of a German Lutheran Church that blew down in an 1896 storm. The Church is not active.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
This congregation formed in 1906 as a result of a revival held in Gerdeman's Hall led by Bro. Havener.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Early Jonesburg settlers Skinner and Camp brought the congregation of the Old Camp Branch Union Church and built a new church in 1869.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Preacher Sandy Jones moved from Kentucky to Missouri in 1831 began holding services at the Crutcher farm. Organized in 1837, the first building was 1850. Scanned here are two pages of the 2012 Anniversary book which includes baptisms, marriages and death listings.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
In 1871, Elder Thomas Bates, a student from Kentucky University organized a group of Disciples of Christ.In 1880, the first Christian Church was organized, built and dedicated with 21 members by Elder Hardin.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
The building was completed in 1892 and Brother Carr was the first minister.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
In 1850, Christians who held services in Litton Summers grove under Preacher Hatchett, formed a congregation "Bear Creak Church of Christ." It was re-established in 1868 as "Price's Branch Christian Church" with the church building completed in 1872.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
A letter dated 1920 states the church has served the community for more than 40 years.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Organized in 1875 with families Wilson, Petty, Bunch, Glenn, White , Smith and Davidson. The first minister was Rev. Hook and the building was constructed in 1879.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
The first meeting was most likely at the home of Wm Douglas in 1839; including Collins, Dillard, Pearson, Douglas, Hall and Reade. Download here the first 3 pages of a 36 pg book written in 1982 by Grace Dillard. It includes a copy of marriages.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
Organized in July 1966 by Rev. Victor Clark of Mexico. MCHS files include handwritten notes and copies of photographs
Uploaded: 18 August 2019
A constitution was signed by 11 men in 1887 and the German St. John's Evangelical Church was formed, now United Church of Christ (UCC). File includes confirmations 1890-1987. A note says the church bell was taken from a railroad engine (?)
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
The congregation was organized in 1879 by Luehwesmann, Flottmann, Young and Freie families. Additional information in MCHS files.
Uploaded: 18 August 2019
The first three pages of a history written by Evelyn Graue that includes photographs and copies of records. Established in 1883, this church later merged with St. Paul's Evangelical in Hermann.
Uploaded: 16 September 2019
The 90th Anniversary Worship Service in 1981, a church history, baptisms, confirmations, weddings, funerals, cemetery listings and "other interesting footnotes." 70 pages. The church merged with St. Paul's in Hermann and is no longer active.
Uploaded: 20 August 2019
The congregation was achieved in 1866 and served by pastors from St. Charles County. The original church was built in 1898 and was replaced in 1967.
Uploaded: 18 August 2019
First met in 1960, organized in 1964 under Bro. Walter Hoard.
Uploaded: 4 September 2019
Located abut 6 miles west of Montgomery City, the first building was completed in 1869, but the congregation dates back further. Additional photos, clippings and church records on file at MCHS
Uploaded: 18 August 2019
The first church was built in 1868 on land donated by the Curd family. Rev. George Smith was the preacher. Early records and other details available at MCHS.
Uploaded: 18 August 2019
As early as 1836 records show Andrew Monroe of Danville to be the presiding elder. Land was deeded in 1841 and the church probably built that year. This 8 pg article written in 1941 includes other early history and references several names.
Uploaded: 18 August 2019